The second phase of the European Union project “Central Asian Dialogue to promote intersectoral Water-Energy-Food Financing (WEP Nexus) is a continuation of the first phase project and is being implemented by the Regional Environmental Center for Central Asia (CAREC).
This project is part of the global Nexus program Dialogue financial programs in five regions of the world with financial Support from the European Union (EU) and the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
The first phase of the project was implemented in five countries of Central Asia (CA) in the period from December 2016 to December 2019 years in partnership with the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) and the support of the Executive Committee International Fund for Saving the Aral Sea (EC IFAS), as well as a number of relevant ministries responsible for WEP questions.
Line ministries responsible for the WEP sector, local authorities, Central Asia Academic Network, international financial institutions.
Based on the results of the first phase of the project (2016-2019), the second phase is aimed at institutionalizing the WEP approach Nexus in national and regional governance structures, as well as in investment decision making for Ensuring water, energy and food security.
- Increased application of the Nexus approach in decision planning and implementation
- Increasing interest of public and private investors in financing projects developed taking into account interconnection "water-energy-food" in the CA region.
To ensure coordination and alignment of activities during Phase II of the Project, the Regional Steering Committee (RSC) established in Phase I will continue to operate and a Technical Working Group (TWG) will be established for the small-scale transboundary demonstration project.
The Network of Academic Society (NAS) consisting of representatives of universities, professional development institutes and training centers that has been operating in Central Asia since 2013 with the support of the World Bank and CAREC, will be involved as an expert support to exchange academic knowledge, research development, modern methods and technologies in the field of sustainable management and use of natural resources.
The Global Nexus Secretariat (GNS) is a coordinating body for implementation of Nexus projects in different regions of the world. It supports exchange of knowledge and experience among project teams, coordinates development of methodological materials and tools required for planning, evaluation and implementation of Nexus projects.
CAREC, as an implementer of the Nexus Dialogue in CA Project, will ensure that the objectives of Phase II of the Nexus project are achieved, interested partners are informed and involved, as well as that project co-financing commitments are met.
Regional multi-sectoral Nexus dialogue is strengthened with support of the Regional Steering Committee and Technical Working Group established for the transboundary demonstration project;
- One transboundary and three small-scale demonstration projects are implemented to serve as pilot sites to prepare:
- institutional and socio-economic assessments for all demonstration projects;
- simulation analysis (cost-benefit or trade off) for two demonstration projects;
- technical solutions for three demonstration projects;
- Investment-ready proposals for two demonstration projects are developed and submitted to potential investors;
- Analytical and planning tools relevant for supporting Nexus based decisions are tested in Central Asia;
- Capacity of the WEF line ministries and national experts on the application of the Nexus tools for designing investment projects enhanced;
- The vision to institutionalise the Nexus approach in national and regional governance structures and investment decisions is improved.
International Union for Conservation of Nature
Project manager – Ms. Ludmilla Kiktenko
Tel.: +7 727 265 43 33 (ext. 107)