On April 22, 2020, in the mode of the ZOOM conference, an online meeting of the Educational and Methodological Association of Educational Organizations (EMAEO), the Project Management Unit (PMU) of the Republican Educational and Methodological Council (REMC) of the Taraz State University (TarSU) named after M.Kh.Dulati was held with participation of the Executive Directorate of the International Fund of Aral Saving (IFAS) in Kazakhstan, the Regional Environmental Centre for Central Asia (CAREC), the USAID project “Smart Waters”, Ministry of Ecology, Geology and Natural Resources (MEGNR) of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Ministry of Labor and Social Protection of Population (MLSPP) of the Republic of Kazakhstan, National Chamber of Entrepreneurs (NCE) “Atameken”, Kazakh-German University (KNU), KazNIIvodkhoz, Kazvodkhoz and basin inspections. The meeting was moderated by the
Rector of the TarSU named after M.Kh.Dulati - Doctor of Pedagogical Sciences, Professor M.N. Sarybekov.
CAREC ESD Programme Manager T. Shakirova and Director of the CAREC Country Office in Kazakhstan S. Toylybaeva took part on behalf of CAREC.
The EMAEO-PMU was established on the basis of the TarSU named after M.Kh.Dulati in 1998. Currently, the EMAEO TarSU is organizing educational and methodological support for educational programs of higher and postgraduate education in the field of the "Water Management" education and training.
In the period from 2017 to 2020, members of the EMAEO TarSU, the Executive Directorate of IFAS in Kazakhstan, the OSCE Programme Office in Nur-Sultan, CAREC, the USAID project “Smart Waters”, the UNESCO Cluster Office in Almaty, Kazakh-German University (DKU), KazNIIvodkhoz, “Kazvodkhoz”, basin inspections, the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan, the MLSPP, NCE Atameken, members of the EMAEO of Kazakh universities and a wide range of employers, a lot of work has been done to develop key regulatory documents for the water industry, which is a condition for improving the quality of training for this industry. There is a process of formation of the National Qualification System (NQS) of the Republic of Kazakhstan as a whole.
Under the leadership of the Agro-Industrial Consortium in 2018-2019, scientists of the water industry of the TarSU named after M.Kh.Dulati, with participation of the IFAS, the Committee for Water Resources, regional branches of Kazvodkhoz, CAREC, USAID, regional basin inspections for water resources, developed and in December 2019 approved the Sector Qualifications Framework (SQF) “Water Management”, SQF "Agriculture" and SQF "Forestry and the animal world", as well as 40 professional standards for the above sectors, 10 of which relate to the water sector.
So that there is no gap between professional and educational standards, as well as a gap between the education system and the labor market, there is an urgent task to harmonize the content of the educational process of higher and postgraduate education with the key requirements of the elements of the NQS of the Republic of Kazakhstan. In accordance with this, Department of Higher and Postgraduate Education (DHPE) MES RK together with JSC “Center for the Development of Labor Skills” developed a Roadmap (RM) for development of educational programs based on the approved 480 professional standards as part of the implementation of the State program for the formation of the NQS RK “Development of labor skills and job stimulation”, implemented by the MLSPP of the Republic of Kazakhstan in conjunction with the NCE “Atameken”.
Professional standards are the document where the interests of employers, workers, educational institutions, students, government bodies and other interested parties are concentrated and are the basis for the development of educational programs. Accordingly, universities involved in education and training in the field of "Water Management" need to develop the identical content of specific educational programs.
Following the meeting, presentations and discussions, a draft of the meeting Decision was adopted:
1. To identify the following main steps for the formation of the agreed content of educational programs with higher and postgraduate education in the field of preparation "Water Management":
1.1. EMAEO PMU REMC at the TarSU named after M.Kh.Dulati should develop drafts of educational programs (EP) on the basis of new approved PS;
1.2. Universities providing training for the water industry should develop and make adjustments to EP taking into account new approved substations;
1.3. Universities providing training for the water industry should use unified teaching materials for the basic professional disciplines of the educational programs “Hydromelioration” and “Hydrotechnical Construction” developed within the framework of the Water and Energy Program for Central Asia (KAWEP) “Central Asian Knowledge Sharing Network: Partnership Development for regional cooperation on water and energy (CAKN) ”;
2. To accept for use the developed uniform learning outcomes and professional competencies in accordance with professional standards for implemented EPs;
3. Higher education institutions of the Republic of Kazakhstan, which train water specialists should accept recommendations for development of the educational programs with major and additional paths (major and minor);
4. Higher education institutions of the Republic of Kazakhstan, which train water specialists, should accept recommendations for students to complete professional practice;
5. To come up with a proposal to the MEGNR of the Republic of Kazakhstan (CWR), the Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Kazakhstan and other interested organizations to organize a departmental order for the preparation of bachelors and masters of water management on the basis of targeted agreements with universities, as well as to involve the business community in the preparation process;
6. To request CAREC within the framework of the USAID “Smart Waters” project to issue the approved new Professional standards and Methodological recommendations for the development of EP according to the Classifier of training areas with higher and postgraduate education;
7. To recommend to the Consortium of the AIC or the ALE “The Association of Water Resources of Kazakhstan”, in cooperation with CAREC to establish an independent center for assessing the qualifications of water management personnel in the Republic of Kazakhstan. To instruct this center to conduct trainings, seminars, as well as examination of PS and EP for water sector;
8. To ask for the assistance of stakeholders represented by research institutes, universities, design, production and non-governmental organizations in the water sector in analyzing the industry to develop elements of the NSC, as well as making suggestions on the list of necessary professional standards for the water sector;
9. Recommend IFAS ED to develop a roadmap for the development of regulatory documents in accordance with the NQS and the SQF for water management.