Press release: UN Sustainable development goals (UN SDGs) as basis for sustainable development in Central Asian countries
In 18-22 April 2016, within the CAREC UNDP / UNEP project "Capacity-building for sustainable development in Central Asia: Looking beyond 2015”, a 5-day training workshop for government officials, NGOs and business organizations interested in promoting Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations will hold in Almaty city.
SDGs initially has proposed in September 2015, during the UN General Assembly. The outcome document of the UN General Assembly was the Agenda for a sustainable development for the period up to 2030 (Agenda 2030).
The Agenda 2030 is a plan for action for people, planet and prosperity. The Agenda 2030 seeks to strengthen universal piece and eradicate poverty and to address global environmental, economic and social challenges for human prosperity and obtaining gender equality and enlargement of human rights.
SDGs have 17 goals and 169 associated targets which consider to continue work that have started during Millennium development goals integration, attainment of which is possible only by combining of efforts of all countries and regions.
In this context, CAREC team in cooperation with UNDP PEI initiative and supported by UNDP is working to build capacity in CA region with regard to SDGs.
In particular, in the frames of the project a training module on SDGs is being preparing which also planned to be online. The educational module is designed for mid-level officials and stakeholders wishing to enhance capacity and knowledge in sustainable development.
Project innovation lies in the fact, that the project is creating an educational module on SDGs which will cover most important issues for CA region such as climate change, development of human capital, gender equality, cross-sectoral relations and role of education in sustainable development and sustainable development of natural resources, including water and ecosystems.
The purpose of the training: to raiseawareness and strengthen involvement of regional and national partners in the promotion and harmonization of SDGs with regional and national strategies for sustainable development
- generate awareness of the importance of SDGs and value of global strategic vision for provision of sustainable development in CA region
- acquire knowledge about materials developed as results of first phase of UNDP Poverty and Environment Initiative
- generate awareness about SDGs and priority directions of its realization in CA countries as well as importance of such themes like development of human resources, sustainable use of natural resources, including water resources and ecosystems, combat of climate change and gender equity.
- familiarize themselves with sustainable development directions: green jobs, natural capital accounting, valuation of ecosystem services, financing of SD and etc.
- develop a joint vision in SDGs implementation on regional and national levels which will be further considered and approved at Regional Conference, planned to held in May 2016
Additional information about SDGs could be found HERE
Additional information about the project could be found HERE
The Regional training will held in Ramada hotel (27/1 Baitursynova Str.), Almaty, Kazakhstan. The training will be opened at 9:30 am, April 182016 at Conference hall of the hotel.
Contacts of the project team:
Saniya Kartayeva: firstname.lastname@example.org