The Country office of the Regional Environmental Center for Central Asia in the Kyrgyz Republic, under a small-scale funding agreement with UNEP, is implementing a Project for Sustainable Capacity Building for Effective Participation in the Biosafety Clearing House (BCH-III). The project aims to support capacity building initiatives to strengthen and enhance the ability of to ensure the safe handling, transport and use of LMOs resulting from modern biotechnology. Specifically, it will assist a wide range of stakeholders to know how to gather, register and access information available in the BCH.
The CAREC country office organized and conducted two events as part of the project. Participants in the events were key stakeholders, engaged in establishing procedures and mechanisms necessary to achieve sustainability of effective participation in BCH and establishing national procedures and operational links.
This project is aimed at supporting capacity building initiatives to strengthen and enhance the ability of to ensure the safe handling, transport and use of LMOs resulting from modern biotechnology. Specifically, it will assist a wide range of stakeholders to know how to gather, register and access information available in the BCH.
- First national workshop for key stakeholders at setting up procedures and mechanisms needed to achieve sustainability of an effective participation to the BCH, and establish national procedures and operational linkages to gather information to be placed on the BCH in line with National Biotechnology Policy and biosafety framework.
- Second BCH Workshop will bring on board key Government representatives with responsibilities for implementing the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety, particularly those that will update and use the BCH as a means of fulfilling the national obligations set forth in the protocol.
- Third National workshop will train key stakeholders on how information available in the BCH can best be utilized. This workshop will introduce BCH training materials and will demonstrate how the BCH can be utilized by national educational institutions and other key stakeholders, to achieve BCH capacity building sustainability beyond project’s duration.
- Developing and Producing Informational Materials on BCH
- Updating of national BCH data by Government representative and other stakeholders (i.e. workshop participants, National Authorized Users)
- Preparation of the Sustainability Plan
Project manager: Umut Zholdoshova