Central Asia Nexus Dialogue project: Fostering Water, Energy and Food Security Nexus Dialogue and Multi-Sector Investment
“Central Asia Nexus Dialogue project: Fostering Water, Energy and Food Security Nexus Dialogue and Multi-Sector Investment” project
Specific objective: To create a multi-sectoral enabling environment to facilitate sustainable and climate-resilient investments for increased water, energy, food security and ecosystems in Central Asia.
Partners: national ministries and agencies of Central Asia (CA) countries involved in water resource management, agriculture, energy, economy and investment issues, international funds and financial institutes, and expert society.
Project period: December 2016 – December 2019
Project budget: EUR 1 300 000
Project is financed by the European Commission and implemented by the Regional Environmental Centre for Central Asia (CAREC), in cooperation with the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), in five countries of Central Asia: Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan.
Growth of population and urbanization, changes in the consumption patterns and economic development of CA countries in the context of changing climate- those are only some of the factors contributing to increase of demand for water, energy and food. It is necessary not to just invest into the production growth, but also to preserve the environment for the future generations. It is a big challenge as competition for the limited natural resources will keep growing in the upcoming years and the consequences of climate change will further complicate the socio-economic situation.
Therefore, the understanding and analysis of dynamic links between water, energy, food and ecosystems have a huge importance and should be viewed in the light of the inter-sectoral and inter-disciplinary approach of “water-energy-food-ecosystems” nexus. With such approach decision makers are able not only to analyze how investment projects in one sector will affect other sectors and foresee the compromises, but also to provide the synergy between different users of natural resources to ensure sustainable water, energy and environmental safety.
Under the circumstances when the renovation of the water, energy and food infrastructure in the CA countries is needed and the limited investment possibilities exist, such approach would mainstream more extensive coordination between the sectors. It would also affect investment project on different scales- from local to regional. On the regional level, in case the investments in one country can positively or negatively influence economic development of other countries, such approach will allow to find a compromise and, on top of that, a synergy, while other sectors and countries will benefit investments in one sector.
“Central Asia Nexus Dialogue project: Fostering Water, Energy and Food Security Nexus Dialogue and Multi-Sector Investment” project was launched in order to stimulate productive regular dialogues that could assist to define innovations needed for planning, financing and implementation of multisectoral projects in five countries of Central Asia.
What is the Nexus?
The Nexus approach highlights the interdependence of water, energy and food security and the natural resources – water, soil and land – that underpin that security. Nexus identifies mutually beneficial responses that are based on understanding the synergies of water, energy and agricultural policies. It also provides an informed and transparent framework for determining the proper trade-offs and synergies that maintain the integrity and sustainability of ecosystems.
“Central Asia Nexus Dialogue project: Fostering Water, Energy and Food Security Nexus Dialogue and Multi-Sector Investment” project is part of the global Programme financed by European Union and German society for international cooperation to provide support for nexus approach, that is being implemented in five worlds` region: Africa (South Africa and Niger river basin), Latin America, Central Asia and MENA region.
Unifying objective of all regional dialogues is promotion of multisectoral approach in national and regional strategies and action plans.
Project objectives in Central Asia:
“Central Asia Nexus Dialogue project: Fostering Water, Energy and Food Security Nexus Dialogue and Multi-Sector Investment” project is running the following objectives:
- Support of intersectoral cooperation in view of “water-energy-food security” nexus approach in investment planning process;
- Strengthening of capacities of regional partners in intersectoral planning;
- Mainstreaming of “water-energy-food” in linkages with ecosystems Nexus approach, and available solutions that could be used on basin, national and regional levels.
Expected project results:
The most expected result is the list of investment projects designed on the principles of intersectoral interests (water, energy and food) and interests of two or more countries of the region.
Current project status:
First start-up phase of the project is over. Second phase of the project begins. In the frame of this phase activities of intersectoral working groups will be conducted, analytical overviews and evaluations will be finished, programme on capacity building of the partners will be developed, dialogues on water-energy-food nexus will be established around the concrete investment plans.
Main results of the first phase:
1) national priorities and project activities are specified for each project country;
2) key partners and dialogue platforms are identified;
3) process of intersectoral working groups formation is launched;
4) development of criteria for the investment project selection started.
- December 01, 2017. Session of The national commission on irrigation and drainage of Tajikistan resulted with a decision to use this working platform as intersectoral working group on water-energy-food nexus in Tajikistan, its goals and objectives until the end of 2019 are agreed.
- November 27, 2017. The critical importance of ecosystems for water, food and energy security for the region was highlited at the final conference of the “Phase II: Support towards local initiatives on environmental governance and water resources management in CA” project. (supported by the Government of Norway)
- November 23-24, 2017. Nexus project and results of the inception phase was presented at the EU-Central Asia Regional Workshop on Infrastructure Investments (WECOOP2)
- November 15, 2017. Central Asia Nexus Dialogue project: Fostering Water, Energy and Food Security Nexus Dialogue and Multi-Sector Investment (NEXUS) launched in Turkmenistan.
- November 13, 2017. Memorandum of Understanding with the Executive Committee of the International Fund for Saving the Aral Sea (EC IFAS) is signed. “Central Asia Nexus Dialogue project: Fostering Water, Energy and Food Security Nexus Dialogue and Multi-Sector Investment” (NEXUS)” funded by EU is a part of the joint action plan of Turkmenistan.
- October 18, 2017. The Fifth Task Force meeting on the Water-Food-Energy-Ecosystem Nexus was organized with the support of The United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) secretariat. Participants of the meeting were presented by representatives of the Ministries of water, energy resources and environment from different countries. Information about “Central Asia Nexus Dialogue project: Fostering Water, Energy and Food Security Nexus Dialogue and Multi-Sector Investment” (NEXUS)” project funded by EU were presented. Also, short update about future project plans were reflected.
- October-november 2017. The map of the best practices of use of water, land and energy resources, and environment protection were presented in all five Central Asia countries. It is planned, this map will also include best practices on Nexus in Central Asia.
- Сonsultative meetings of Nexus project was conducted in all five Central Asia countries:
June 15, 2017 – Astana, Kazakhstan
June 23, 2017 – Tashkent, Kazakhstan
July 05, 2017 – Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic
August 14, 2017 - Dushanbe, Tajikistan
November 15, 2017 – Ashgabat, Turkmenistan
- August – September 2017. Agreement with UNECE on arranging Nexus dialogues on the National Policy Water Dialogues platform which supports reforms in water sector in Eastern Europe, Caucasus and Central Asia through assistance to governments in: development and implementation of water strategies and legislation based on IWRM principles, strengthening intersectoral cooperation, development of national policies for the management of transboundary waters in accordance with the Water Convention and other international environmental instruments.
- June 07, 2017. Side-event “Lessons learned from assessing the Water-Food-Energy-Ecosystems nexus: approaches, findings and possible responses and contribution” was held in the frame of the Central Asian International Environmental Forum (CAIEF).
- May 18-19, 2017. First regional discussion of Nexus project in Central Asia, nexus approach as itself and priority directions for the investments was held in the context of preparations for the Sixth Meeting of EU-Central Asia Working Group on Environment and Climate Change.
First project interim report is available here
The United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE)
International Union for Conversation of Naturehttps://www.iucn.org/
Lyudmila Kiktenko, project manager
+7(727) 2654333, (ext. 107)
Saltanat Zhakenova, Leading specialist
+7(727) 2654333, (ext. 177)
Shynar Toilybayeva, Director of CAREC Office in the Republic of Kazakhstan
+7 (7172) 552016
Meder Seitkasymov, Director of CAREC Office in the Republic of Kyrgyzstan
+996 552 352 773
Farkhod Abdurakhmonov, Director of CAREC Office in the Republic of Tajikistan
+992 372 362 509
Dovlet Djumakuliev, coordinator of CAREC projects in Turkmenistan
+993 12 942 148
Shakhnoza Umarova, Director of CAREC Office in the Republic of Uzbekistan
+998 71 277 37 87
Facebook - www.facebook.com/carececo/
Twitter - @recca_carec
#CAREC #CAREC_news (#NexusCentralAsia)